Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Straight A-Method

Study Hacks is a website devoted to "decoding patterns of success." Study Hacks' basic philosophy is that you don't have to sleep 3-4 hours per night, take 17 hours of classes, double major/double minor, and be the president of 5,000 thousand clubs on campus in order to succeed in college. Seriously, you don't have to. However, there are certain things successful people do in order to be succeed in college that isn't about being book smart and always saying no to having fun. Check out this short post on "The Straight A-Method" for some tips on how to do that:

http://calnewport.com/blog/2009/03/09/the-straight-a-method-how-to-ace-college-courses/


Knowing what is expected of you as a student is key, which is where a planner or some sort of system that involves knowing upcoming important dates comes in. The UNT Bookstore has some good planners, but rather than spend money I recommend finding a planner template online. Check out this link for free planner templates that you can print off from a computer (use one on campus so you don't waste your own printer ink and paper): http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT010142351.aspx

And your first most important key to success in any college class READ YOUR SYLLABUS! Those aren't just for covering teacher's asses and reminding students that they shouldn't be on Facebook while in class. They are for you the student!


5 comments:

  1. I thought the Straight A Method article was extremely helpful for those coming to college or currently in college. What I found to be the most helpful link given inside the article was the article on How to Use Time to Maximize Productivity. This article can help anyone who needs to know how to maximize their time, whether or not you are in college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this Straight A method article as well. I know from personal experience how crazy school can get and the amount of work that goes into it. I have been guilty of putting assignments off until the last minute. However, lately I have been doing a lot better. I try to plan out all of my assignments and their due dates and then setup some type of work schedule. Being organized really does help with maintaining school work. That's why I liked the second pillar, control. One of the helpful links was plan your hard days. That's what I try to do and it really does help. I feel completely different when I am prepared than when I am just doing things to meet a deadline. Lena Webb Comm 1010.027

    ReplyDelete
  3. The straight a method is a set of tips on how to manage your time and school work while in college. While reading through the article, I found these tips very helpful myself. Procrastination is a bad habit of many students and it is a hard habit to break, but managing your time correctly will greatly benefit your college career.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with sam, procrastination is an extremely hard habit to break. I have been procrastinating for years and have been trying to stop to no avail. but i did find these tips helpful and will try to incorporate them into my study routine and college life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The straight A method is very similiar to my own method of being a successful colllege student. I have been struggling with perfectionism for years. I can definitely relate to the "evolve" aspect of the straight-A method because through many mistakes and mental breakdowns and overloads I have learned that perfection is just unrealistic. I have learned that it is ok to have fun, and balancing fun and work is very possible.

    ReplyDelete